My name is Katherine and I am a PhD student in Biomedical Sciences (Integrative Physiology) in the College of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine at the University of Edinburgh.
This blog will be chronicling the new adventure that is my PhD and hopefully give insight on what doing a PhD in the CMVM is like.
Here’s a bit about me:
- I am Canadian, from Montreal, Quebec, so I have the added perspective of being an overseas student at the University.
- I did my undergraduate degree in Honours Cognitive Science (neuroscience and philosophy) with a minor in cellular and molecular biology at McGill University.
- I did my MSc at the University of Edinburgh in 2013-2014 and graduated with distinction. It obviously went well enough for me to stay on for 3 more years!
- In my free time I enjoy baking, binge-watching Netflix and learning new things and practicing yoga- I have taken it up during my PhD.
- I have a wealth of useless facts that still have not help me win any pub quizzes- our team’s best performance was 5th out of 10.
- I love science and have been working in labs since I was 15.
- Each year of my PhD, I will add more pictures of myself to chronicle what I looked like before and after the noble endeavour that is this PhD.
I hope that you are all buckled in and ready for an adventure because I have a feeling that this will be quite a ride.
Here’s to a wonderful second year! (And a happy dance for having made it this far without too much blood, sweat and tears).